Monday, November 14, 2011

What are the major designer names I should know when going into a Fashion Design major in college?

I know Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan New York (DKNY), Burrberry, Versace and others. But I'm not sure which designers I should familiarize myself with before going into this major in college. So if someone could tell me the most 'major' designers I should know, that would be fantastic!|||You'll take classes in the great designers, but it would be useful to know some of the greats in design history before you get to college. They created the designs that current designers are still reacting to. I'd suggest you use the library and online sources, and look up the following designers: Worth, Callot Seurs, Fortuny, Madame Gres, Chanel, Schiaparelli, Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Pierre Cardin, just for starters. When you're looking at the work of designers, try to find out two things: why were they important, and what did they do that was so revolutionary, so different from the others in their time?



The Victoria and Albert Museum, as well as the Met in NYC, have extensive information about couture history (and modern designers) on their websites. One example:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites鈥?/a>



But you can also get books on "the great designers" from the library.



If your local library has it, you may also want to give a look at the weekly newspaper: Women's Wear Daily. Just to get familiar with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment